Where Does Radon Come From?
Radon is a colorless, odorless gas that naturally forms underground and rises upwards out of the soil. It dissipates harmlessly into the atmosphere outdoors, but if it gets indoors, it can become dangerous. Radon seeps into the house through tiny exterior openings and fissures. Because buildings are typically well-sealed, the gas cannot escape and will accumulate to high radon levels. Long-term radon exposure can result in lung cancer, so no one should live with levels of 4 pCi/L or higher.
How to Know if You Have High Radon Levels in Your Home
Radon is invisible and cannot be smelled. There are no immediate symptoms from breathing it. The only way to know if you have high radon levels in your home is to have the house tested for radon.
There are different testing methods to choose from, but it is most reliable to hire a professional. He or she will use superior testing equipment resulting in more accurate readings than the DIY kits you can find at the hardware store. A trained radon tester knows how to administer the test and analyze the results, so you won’t have to worry about doing it wrong and getting inaccurate results.
My Radon Test Came Back at 4 pCi/L or Higher. What’s Next?
You may be hesitant to have your home tested for radon because you don’t want to find out that you have high radon levels. While it is a serious problem, you don’t need to move out of the house or worry that you will never be able to sell your house.
Fortunately, there are radon mitigation experts who have the technology and knowledge to minimize high radon levels and monitor them so they don’t rise again. While radon mitigation is an investment, it is the clear choice for the health of your family.